Living as a Mod in the 21st Century

Thursday, January 8, 2015

This is a story of a Mod who spent the day with 6 beautiful pin-up models: part II


A year ago, I had the pleasure of having professional photographer Simon Laroche rent out my loft for a pin-up photo shoot. You can read all about the experience here. We have since became friends, sharing the same love for flea market finds and collecting Jazz and Soul records.

The Parka Avenue HQ has moved since that day so we agreed that we should relive the adventure. My decor had changed a bit and I had new blank canvas to work with. I now have a basement! 


Simon had such good feedback about the first photo shoot that he had amateur models showing interest all over the place. Simon and I also share the same philosophy about beauty. None of these models are professionals but stunning they are. They don't represent the androgynous, stick figure, photoshopped top models we see in fashion magazines these days. They have curves. They are sexy and they are real. That is the essence of what a pin-up is.

Now, none of them are Mods. The clothes they wear might not appeal to you. I wasn't responsible for that. My contribution was the ambiance, the accessories and the location.

Pictures are worth a thousand words.

First up was the vivacious and effervescent Karine. She seemed very comfortable in front of the camera and the results are there.





This 60s dress has Mod written all over it. It was actually one of the pieces of clothing I really liked. Simon found it in a thrift store for next to nothing. You can expect one of these images to be used to promote one of my futur Mod Club nights in the city.



Gabrielle is shy and demure. It took a while for her to warm up but once she did, she took directions like a professional. She confided in us that she had recently loss an insane amount of weight. I have to applaud her courage for stepping in front of the camera like she did. And that enchanting gaze... Oh! THAT GAZE!






Nadine has that "girl next door" quality. And who wouldn't want have her as a neighbour?



Virginie was a pleasure to work with. She was spunky, confident and seemed to really enjoy herself. It all translates in the photos.






She was later joined by her cousin Catrine. There kinship wasn't fake and it permeated through every shot.


Catrine also had a very short learning curve. If she's not the definition of a natural beauty then I don't what is. I think that smile says it all.





I have to confess. I have a particular fondness for Chloe. It's not a surprise to anyone, I've always had a weakness for blondes. And if you don't see the Marilyn Monroe connection, you must be blind. She might be reserved and timid but that didn't keep her from being highly photogenic. That glare simply pierces through the lens. I had the distinct pleasure to share the spotlight with her.








All of this wouldn't have been possible without a team. When Myriam is in charge of hair and makeup, you know you're in good hands. You can see more of her work here.


The artistic direction was under the guidance of photographer Camille. What an absolute delight it was to work with her. You can check some of her work here.

Last but not least, the man behind the camera, Simon Laroche. The constant professional, I would recommend him in a heartbeat. Have a look at his portfolio here. This won't be our last collaboration, so stay tuned!


7 comments:

  1. It's a tough job but someone's go to do it! :) Cheers Patrick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the pics fun and sexy too. Mod clothes would be better tho ;0) but then I'm a mod so i would say that

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need that chartreuse green turtleneck in the 10th photo down. Any chance of getting some info on it? Cheers! Tracy (PDX)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could help. It was a vintage piece found in a thrift shop. I hope of finding the men's version for myself!

      Delete
  4. I loved the first shoot you did last year and this one probably more so; my advice to you - don't leave it another year until the next one!

    ReplyDelete